April 17, 2016

How to Make an Easy Rustic Tray



When putting together a new displays for my home I always like to add an element of height.

Sometimes in the form of a tall candle, or a vase of flowers, to give the arrangement as a whole a more substantial look.

Other times when I'm wanting a more subtle look,  just a lift of an inch or two is all I like.

~ ~ ~

Take this desk area in my family room,

I wanted something to break up the large, dark stained surface of the desk. On one side I decided to place a reused, painted silverware box to add some height to a simple grouping centered around a lamp.




Wanting to balance the other side of desk but not match perfectly I decided on using a simple rustic tray to add a little height to an arrangement of silk flowers and art supplies.





Of course, before I could use the tray, I had to build it.

Turned out it was a simple, under fifteen minute project.

I love quick and easy projects and I know you do too  - - so of course a video tutorial will be at the end of this post.




Because I was going for a rustic look, I of course gave the tray a distressed black and white paint job.

My go-to painting technique when I want something to have a distressed look.

It never fails me!




The beauty of this project is that I could make it as big, or small as I wanted without much hassle.

I love how it gives  me a place to corral a few items to make the desk look pretty but at the same time keeps the  majority of the desktop clutter free so it's ready to go whenever homework or craftime rolls around.




The best part of course is that I was able to make it with only a few simple supplies that I was able to gather from my scraps in the garage making this project essentially free! 

What's better than quick and easy, and free!




The basic supplies you will need are 1X8 boards (larger or smaller, your preference), 1X2's for the legs, wood screws, drill, wood glue and a saw.

Below you will find a easy to follow video tutorial for your viewing delight!




Hope you enjoyed this project and make your own.

I can see myself using this all over the house.

Have a great day,

Robin

Linked to:
The Creative Gallery
Amaze Me Monday
Happiness Is Homemade Party

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty, Robin! I agree, a little height adds interest! I like how it designates an area for a purpose, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty Robin.
    Thank you for the tutorial!

    I hope you will share this this week at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.
    Just stop by my blog Thursday to join in. We would love to have you.

    Enjoyed visiting,
    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!